Apply for a water exemptions permit
There are some indoor water uses that are also subject to restrictions, such as car washing in a shopping centre car parks, operation of pools in gyms and swimming centres and water features or fountains. If your business has these operations, you’ll need to apply for an exemption.
Your business doesn't need to apply for an exemption if the water you use isn't drinking water.
Businesses need to apply for a Level 2 water exemption permit by the 31 January 2020.
Please complete the application in the link below and one of our team will contact you to secure your permit.
What are the water restrictions for businesses?
Level 2 water restrictions apply to businesses in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra.
- You can only water your garden before 10am or after 4pm with a watering can or bucket. Hoses are not permitted at any time.
- 'Smart' watering systems that include automated weather adjustment, a rain sensor or a soil moisture sensor and drip irrigation systems may only be used for 15 minutes per watering zone before 10am or after 4pm
- The use of unattended hoses is not permitted
- Hosing of hard surfaces is not permitted, unless in an emergency or for health and safety reasons
- You can wash your car with a bucket or at a commercial car wash
- You will need a permit before filling a pool over 500L. You can only top up an existing pool or spa, using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle, watering can or bucket for a maximum of 15 minutes a day.
Water restrictions exclusions
Types of water excluded from Level 2 water restrictions:
- Recycled water (supplied in some parts of Sydney through purple pipes)
- Greywater (water from sinks, showers, washing machines etc)
- Rainwater (as long as the tank/dam isn't topped up from, or switched to, the drinking water supply)
- Bore water (some government restrictions apply)
- River water (you need to have a licence)
Uses of water excluded:
- Water used for firefighting, testing and related activities
- Water used for dust suppression
Find out more about water restrictions on Sydney Water.