What are level 1 restrictions?
Water restrictions apply to everyone in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra. This includes both residents and businesses.
1. Your hose must have a trigger nozzle and can only water gardens before 10am and after 4pm.
2. Standard sprinklers and watering systems aren't permitted.
3. Unless it's for health and safety, you can't hose hard surfaces like paths and driveways.
4. You can only wash cars, boats and buildings with a bucket, trigger nozzle or high-pressure cleaning equipment.
5. Filling new or renovated pools or spas will require a permit.
6. You can't leave a hose unattended unless you're filling up a pool.
If your business uses water outdoors, you must read this.
A water restriction exemption must be applied for if your business uses drinking water outdoors.
Your business doesn't need to apply for an exemption if you only use water indoors or the water you use outdoors isn't drinking water.
Please make sure you read the restrictions and exclusions carefully before you apply.
We consider each application on a case-by-case basis.
What's excluded from the restrictions?
Types of water excluded
- Recycled water (supplied in some parts of Sydney through purple pipes)
- Greywater (water from sinks, showers, washing machines etc)
- Rainwater (as long as the tank/dam isn't topped up from, or switched to, the drinking water supply)
- Bore water
- River water (you need to have a licence)
Uses of water excluded
- Water parks
- Water used for firefighting, testing and related activities
- Water used for dust suppression